If your diet consists of beans and rice (like ours does), then you need to have this in your recipe book on hand at all times! It’s not just your typical beans and rice, but it adds LOADS of flavor for not that much more work. This will definitely jazz up your weekly beans and rice kick. It's great on its own, but in tacos or burritos it would shine!
Spicy Chipotle Rice and Beans [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle chili in adobo (add more for spicier, less for milder)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cans pinto beans – drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Lime to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and sautee the onion until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chipotle, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper, and smoked paprika until fragrant.
- Stir in your broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a high simmer, then add the rice and beans and reduce to a low simmer. Cover the pot and cook for about 18-20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Finally, stir in your lime juice and fresh cilantro!
You could try adding some avocado on top, or stir in some coconut milk to make it extra creamy!