Spicy chipotle onion pucks are a perfect appetizer, snack, side dish, or even a main meal accompanying a salad or other leafy greens! They are so versatile and completely tasty – not to mention gluten-free and oil-free to boot!
Spicy Chipotle Onion Pucks [Vegan]
- 3 onions, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (you can use less for milder heat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried coriander
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- About 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle the onion slices with salt and let sit while you prepare the batter.
- Mix the dry ingredients first, then add the lime juice and gradually the water. The amount of water needed varies with brand of flour. The batter shouldn’t be too moist, just wet enough to hold together without crumbling, or sticking to your fingers
- Fold in the onion slices and form pucks. Place on parchment paper and bake for about 10-15 minutes on each side. you can fry them in a pan instead of baking if you prefer, but if so you probably need some oil, which I prefer not to use
- Here I’m serving them with a simple kale and tomato salad, with some coriander and lime. But you go ahead and serve them however you want! Dip them in a sauce as a snack, use as topping on a salad, serve with rice for a heavier meal. Just use your imagination!