I love using spelt grain for my pizza dough, this grain has a much deeper flavor and texture compared to our modern wheat. Because the molecular structure of protein in spelt is more soluble than wheat, it is assimilated more easily in our bodies. You can make this extra-gourmet by roasting the veggie toppings in little bit of olive oil infused with oregano and red chilli flakes, before you toss them on the pizza base. Choices, choices…makes life interesting!!
Spelt Pizza With Roasted Veggies [Vegan]
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 packet dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-5 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Optional flavorings (fresh minced garlic, oregano, red chilli flakes)
- 1 jar pre-made pizza sauce
- your favorite veggie toppings
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 handful sunflower seeds (you could use walnuts too)
- 1 clove minced garlic (you could use garlic powder)
- couple of sprigs of parsley
- 2 tsp sun dried tomato paste (optional)
- 1 tsp black pepper pwd (optional)
- salt to taste
- Water (to thin out the consistency)
- Pre-heat oven to 415 degrees
- Add the yeast and sugar in a cup of warm water and let it rise for about 5 mins.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together, incorporate olive oil into this dry mixture along with flavorings if used and then pour the yeast mixture into it and knead the dough. Let the dough rest for about 40 mins tightly covered in a warm place.
- At this point I like to lightly knead the dough again and rest if for 20 mins more for a nice fluffy crust.
- Prebake the dough before you put on all of the toppings.( I love garlic based pizza crust, so at this point you can spread freshly minced 2-3 cloves of garlic with 3 tsp of olive oil on the rolled out dough if you'd like.) Prick the base all over with a fork for it to bake evenly for about 5 – 8 mins.
- You can make this cheese in less than 5 mins! Blend everything together to form a nice paste like consistency that can be easily spread on a pizza base. This cheese is simple and full of flavor with tons of good fatty acids to keep our skin glowing and healthy. You can store this cheese in an airtight glass container stays fresh in fridge for up to 10 days.
- Spread pizza sauce and cheese onto the pre-baked crust.
- Top with assorted veggies of your choosing (I used baby spinach, green pepper, and red onions.)
- bake it at 415 degrees for 20 mins.