Looking for a meal that's easy to prepare but tastes like it's been simmering on the stove all day? Look no further than this simple Spanish-inspired chorizo and chickpea dish. It's flavorful and full of protein that will keep you satisfied, plus you can make a large batch and keep it in the refrigerator to eat all week!
Spanish Chorizo With Chickpeas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Olive oil spray
- 12-ounce package gluten-free vegan chorizo (or make your own!)
- 1 cup sofrito (recipe below)
- 2 15-ounce cans no salt added garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 packets Spanish spice blend
- 1-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Green onions for garnish, optional
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1-3 jalapeños, seeds and membranes removed to taste, roughly chopped
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-1/2 bunches cilantro, washed
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into large chunks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to brown.
- Add sofrito and sauté until hot.
- Add garbanzo beans, tomato, seasoning, and broth. Simmer covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer another five minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve over rice.