Looking for a meal that's easy to prepare but tastes like it's been simmering on the stove all day? Look no further than this simple Spanish-inspired chorizo and chickpea dish. It's flavorful and full of protein that will keep you satisfied, plus you can make a large batch and keep it in the refrigerator to eat all week!
Spanish Chorizo With Chickpeas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Spanish Chorizo With Chickpeas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Olive oil spray
- 12-ounce package gluten-free vegan chorizo (or make your own!)
- 1 cup sofrito (recipe below)
- 2 15-ounce cans no salt added garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 packets Spanish spice blend
- 1-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Green onions for garnish, optional
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1-3 jalapeños, seeds and membranes removed to taste, roughly chopped
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-1/2 bunches cilantro, washed
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into large chunks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Spanish Chorizo With Chickpeas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to brown.
- Add sofrito and sauté until hot.
- Add garbanzo beans, tomato, seasoning, and broth. Simmer covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer another five minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve over rice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.