Spanakopita is a Greek savory filo dough pie filled with spinach and cheese. Here, vegan mozzarella cheese and lemony Spinach come together to form this delicious, flaky, and buttery pie. Super delicious AND healthy!
- 1/2 of 1 16-ounce package of vegan filo dough, frozen
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 10-ounce bags fresh spinach
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch kale, remove stems, slice, massage
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegan egg replacer
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a pie or circular pan with olive oil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Add washed spinach and kale, cook until heated through. Add the squeeze of lemon. Remove and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl combine spinach mixture, garlic, vegan cheese, dill, nutmeg, and salt. Make the vegan eggs with almond milk according to the package.
- To assemble, lay 4-6 filo sheets covering every angle on the pan. Brush with melted butter. Continue to arrange filo sheets in a clockwork fashion. Butter the tops of each new pair of filo dough as you go. When all sheets have been used, place spinach mixture in the center and spread into an even layer. Carefully fold phyllo excess filo inward and layer 4 or more sheets on top tucking the sheets in. Precut the Spanakopita and butter the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are golden and center is set.