It’s all the best parts of breakfast (or dinner) in a one-pot dish: crispy potatoes, moist tofu, Southwestern spices, and the fresh tastes of tomatoes and avocados all served over healthy, bright greens. This has become my new favorite go-to tofu scramble. Try it. I know you’ll love it. And even more importantly, I know you will love the feeling of knowing you are not contributing to the torture and death of beautiful chickens and their babies. Compassion is the best ingredient!
Southwestern Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Southwestern Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. black salt
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup water
- 1 large or 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 cups kale or turnip greens
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- Juice of ½ lime
How to Prepare Southwestern Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- Put the quartered potatoes in a small pot and cover them with cool water. Cover and parboil the potatoes, about 5-7 minutes. Alternatively, you could place the potatoes in a bowl and microwave them for 4-5 minutes on high.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high. Transfer the parboiled potatoes into the sauté pan and cook until browned, turning them halfway through. When the potatoes are browned, add the scallions, onions, and peppers to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened and tender, about 5 minutes. Crumble the tofu into the pan and let it cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking, prepare the spice mixture. Add the spices to the pan, mixing it well into the tofu and vegetables. The tofu should be yellow from the turmeric. Add the water to the pan and mix. The water helps incorporate the spices throughout the scramble and moistens the tofu. Turn off the heat. Add the tomatoes to the scramble and mix in the cilantro. Transfer the tofu scramble to a bowl.
- Prepare the greens in the same pan. If the pan is dry, you can add a bit more oil. Over medium heat, add the greens, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well and add a few spoons of water. Cover the pan and cook until just wilted and bright green. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange a layer of greens on the plates. Layer the tofu scramble on top of the greens. Top with the sliced avocado and lime juice. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 789 | Total Carbs: 63 g | Total Fat: 37 g | Total Protein: 53 g | Total Sodium: 270 mg | Total Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.