Southern flavor with a creamy sweet potato broth base, this soup is packed with black beans, corn, and greens. This is how we do soul food!
Southern Sweet Potato and Black Eyed Pea Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chard or collard greens, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion and celery in the oil. Add cumin, thyme and cayenne and sauté for another minute.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Turn heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Let simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Once tender, puree with a immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree. Return sweet potato broth to soup pot.
- Add black-eyed peas, corn, greens, and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer for about 10 more minutes or until greens are softened and soup thickens. Add additional water if soup gets too thick.