Southern flavor with a creamy sweet potato broth base, this soup is packed with black beans, corn, and greens. This is how we do soul food!
Southern Sweet Potato and Black Eyed Pea Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Southern Sweet Potato and Black Eyed Pea Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chard or collard greens, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Southern Sweet Potato and Black Eyed Pea Stew [Vegan]
- In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion and celery in the oil. Add cumin, thyme and cayenne and sauté for another minute.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Turn heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Let simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Once tender, puree with a immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree. Return sweet potato broth to soup pot.
- Add black-eyed peas, corn, greens, and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer for about 10 more minutes or until greens are softened and soup thickens. Add additional water if soup gets too thick.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.