This Vegan Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie is a warm, flavorful pie that tastes even better than a classic pecan pie. The gooey center is perfectly luxurious and nutty, and the homemade crust is scented with orange while being 100% vegan!
Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie [Vegan]
For the Orange-Infused Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, COLD!
- 1/2 cup Almond milk + 2 Tbsps, very cold (You can also use water, if preferred!)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Pecan Filling:
- 6 cups Halved pecans, toasted + cooled (See Notes!)
- 2 flax 'eggs' (2 Tbsps flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 1/2 cups canned full-fat coconut cream (You can also use canned full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (See Notes!)
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Arrowroot starch
- Coconut whipped cream
How To Make Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- In a measuring cup, add the milk and apple cider vinegar, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, salt, orange zest, and cane sugar, whisking them all together.
- Add the cubed vegan butter sticks (or regular vegan butter) and using a pastry blender, blend butter into dry ingredients until the mixture becomes “peas-like” and crumbly.
- Pour the cold apple cider vinegar-milk mixture (slowly) and stir (working it together with one hand) until the dry ingredients are moistened. NOTE: If the ingredients feels a little too dry, add 1 Tbsp of milk at a time, until it’s moistened BUT not too wet!
- Once you’re able to form it into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (minimum), up to 1 and a half hours or of course overnight.
- In the meantime, make the Pie Filling.
For the Filling:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a standard pie dish with vegan butter.
- Meanwhile, add the flaxseed meal and warm water together and stir until well combined. Let sit for 5-7 minutes until it appears thick like paste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut cream/milk, flaxseed mixture, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, Bourbon, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, arrowroot, stirring everything together until completely smooth and combined. Fold in the cooled toasted pecans.
For the Assembly:
- Remove dough ball from the refrigerator and place it onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough ball using a rolling pin (not making it too thin), about 1/2-inch thick and gently placing it in your pie dish, working it around evenly. Be sure to do any folding or tucking of any excess pie crust.
- Pour/scoop pie filling mixture over crust and evenly spread and lightly brush the top of pie crust with melted vegan butter.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, until crust becomes golden brown and the center of the filling is only‘ slightly jiggly’ if not fully set. **NOTE: If the crust begins to get too dark quickly, cover around the pie’s crust with foil paper or a pie crust shield halfway through, leaving the middle opened and exposed.**
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool completely, about 30-45 minutes. When cooled, place pie in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving and slicing.
- To serve, slice the pie, top with Coconut whipped cream (optional), and enjoy!
- Bon Appetit!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile