Smoked paprika is a total game-changer in this spicy, creamy pasta sauce. It makes more than enough for two, so you can pile on the sauce without fear of not leaving enough for your dining companion. For a chunkier, pesto-like sauce, opt for whole almonds over almond meal. Either way, this is a recipe that you'll want to return to.
Smoky Tomato Almond Pasta Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 roasted red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 13.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- Pasta of choice for two
- Ground almonds, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and sauté until soft. Add roasted red pepper, ground almonds, parsley, paprika, chili, and salt and stir to combine. The mixture will look like a paste.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the almonds are fragrant and toasty, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Add mixture to a blender with tomatoes and blend until smooth, adding a drizzle of olive oil, if needed.
- Return the smooth sauce to a saucepan and simmer until pasta is ready, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Add a bit of the starchy pasta water to thin out the sauce towards the end of cooking, if needed.
- Serve with a little extra fresh parsley, ground almonds, and a drizzle of olive oil.