Craving classic mac and cheese but want to mix things up a bit? This smoky dish adds chipotle peppers into the mix to add a bit of heat to the otherwise creamy and savory pasta. The homemade cheese sauce is made from carrots, potatoes, and nutritional yeast, making it a great option for those with nut allergies. This can also be made into a good fat-free recipe if you’re into that, but this mac is on another planet once you add oil.
Smoky Chipotle Mac and Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 3/5 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil or less
- 1/4 small can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Salt (optional)
- 4 ounces dried pasta (gluten-free if necessary)
- Boil potatoes and carrots until soft, about 25 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes then add to the blender.
- Add everything else to the blender. Use the least amount of water because you’ll want this on the thicker side. Add small amounts of chipotle pepper at a time. Blend and taste to see if it’s spicy or salty enough.
- Once sauce is ready pour over pasta and mix with the pasta.