A smokey and delightful version of tofu that is perfect for the grill, and makes a wonderful meal.
Smoky Tandoori Tofu Tikka [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Smoky Tandoori Tofu Tikka [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup thick coconut milk
- 2medium sized tomatoes, quartered
- 11/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 green chilies (such as a Serrano)
- 1 tablespoon tandoori masala (store bought or homemade)
- 2 pounds of extra-firm tofu cut into slabs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dry fenugreek leaves
- 11/2 teaspoons chat masala
- Thinly sliced red onion rings
- Lime or lemon slices
- Chopped Cilantro
How to Prepare Smoky Tandoori Tofu Tikka [Vegan]
- Place the coconut milk, tomatoes, ginger, salt, green chilies and tandoori masala in the a blender and blend to a smooth puree.
- Place the tofu slices in a large bowl and marinate in this mixture for about 4 hours (note, if you wish you can just keep this overnight, there is no magic to the number of hours)
- Mix the olive oil, fenugreek leaves and chaat masala in a bowl and have a pastry brush ready for brushing the tofu.
- Turn on your grill, brush the tofu slabs with the basting mixture and cook for about 7 minutes, baste the other side and turn, you can occasionally brush the exposed side with the basting mixture as well. Cook the second side for 7 minutes as well. The time will differ based on the heat and grill being used, however the objective is to get the tofu lightly crisp without drying it out, with some grill marks and darker spots.
- Carefully remove from the grill onto a serving plate.
- Serve garnished with onions, lime slices and chopped cilantro.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.