If you don’t have orange flower water it’s fine to leave it out. It adds a very subtle sweet flavor and aroma. Before buying any, make sure it’s food grade, which most Middle Eastern stores carry. I was unable to find food grade at my local Whole Foods. You can leave off the topping altogether or just use a teaspoon or two of your favorite nut. Depending on how sweet your figs are you may need to add a little sweetener if you make it that way.
Slow Cooker Vanilla Fig Oatmeal [Vegan]
2 - 3
Ingredients You Need for Slow Cooker Vanilla Fig Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon food grade orange flower water (optional)
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla ‘baklava filling’ topping
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- pinch of cinnamon
How to Prepare Slow Cooker Vanilla Fig Oatmeal [Vegan]
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add everything except baklava filling topping ingredients to the slow cooker. Now mix together the ‘baklava filling’ in a small bowl and store in the fridge until the morning. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. Top each serving with a few tablespoons of the baklava filling, making it as sweet as you like it.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.