This is a pretty loose interpretation of a sloppy Joes and of pho, a Vietnamese noodle dish! But the end result is a savory soup that warms your insides. This flavorful dish features a homemade, umami-rich broth, rice noodles, textured vegetable protein, and crisp bell peppers. Fusion food at its finest!
Sloppy Joe Pho [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pho Broth:
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari, to make it gluten-free
- 1/4 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
For the Sloppy Joe Pho:
- 1 recipe pho broth, divided
- 1 10-ounce package rice vermicelli noodles, prepared
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP), small granules (or finely chopped seitan — not gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 fresh jalapeño, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
To Make the Broth:
- Add all ingredients to a pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain out solids and keep hot over low heat until ready to serve.
To Make the Sloppy Joe Pho:
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté until fragrant and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup, paprika, and black pepper.
- Add in one cup of the prepared broth.
- Stir in TVP. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Assemble soup.
- Divide noodles evenly between four large soup bowls.
- Top with a generous helping of the sloppy joe mixture
- Add in broth.
- Sprinkle the top with green onion, cilantro, and jalapeño slices, if using.
- Squirt in a smidge of Sriracha, if desired.
Photo by Wade Hammond.