Here’s a rich, decadent version of a North Indian classic: Shahi tofu! This recipe is unapologetically indulgent, unbelievably delicious, and filling. Try experimenting with the layers of spices by adding bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds, and cardamom pods for extra flavor and serve with roti or naan alongside your favorite grain.
Shahi Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 cup tomato sauce or purée
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 heaping teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves or dry methi leaves
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup roughly chopped cashews (raw or roasted)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Cilantro, if desired
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- Presoak the cashews for a few hours or boil them for 10 minutes, then blend them with equal parts water.
To Make the Shahi Tofu:
- Prepare the tofu as per your desired method and cube. You can grill the slabs of tofu with salt and garam masala and then cube it into bite-size pieces. You could also cube it and bake it or stir fry it. It can also be cubed and added to the curry without cooking it.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat and add the ginger. Cook for a minute or two and add the tomato purée.
- Stir and cook until the oil begins to separate from the tomatoes (cover the pan if necessary). Add the cumin coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, turmeric, garam masala, paprika, and fenugreek leaves and cook (covered if necessary) until thick and fragrant.
- Add the cashew cream and coconut milk and heat to a simmer. Add water until desired consistency is reached and simmer at low heat. The curry will thicken significantly as it cools.
- Add the precooked tofu cubes and simmer for a few minutes. Add more spices and adjust the seasoning to taste. If desired, garnish the curry with additional coconut milk or cashew cream, raisins, cashews, and cilantro.
- Serve with naan or roti and rice or quinoa.