Sweet potato is a fantastic ingredient, especially when you’re in the mood for something comforting and hearty. In these nourishing sweet potato falafel, mashed sweet potato is combined with spelt flour and spiced with smoky cumin, turmeric, and smoky paprika. This pairs well with hummus, in a wrap, or on a salad.
Sesame Encrusted Sweet Potato Spelt Falafel [Vegan]
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 cans of chickpeas
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1/4 cup of spelt flour (buckwheat or teff flour also works)
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Start by peeling, chopping and steaming the sweet potatoes until very soft. Place them in a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients (apart from the sesame seeds) and blend until smooth. Take large tablespoon sizes worth of mix, roll in your hands to form a ball and roll in the sesame seeds until coated. Place on a lined baking tray and flatten slightly.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, slightly longer to achieve a slightly dryer consistency. This pairs well with quinoa and greens. Alternatively, you could roll them into a wrap, stuffed with roasted vegetables. The falafels should keep for up to a week in the refrigerator and can be eaten heated up or served cold.