This recipe is likely one of the simplest I've put together in quite a while. Only six or so ingredients, it comes together in about 15 minutes. For all it's simplicity, it looks quite fancy, so you can easily fool your friends (and yourself) into believing it took a while to prepare. The generous helping of sesame adds many needed nutrients, including excellent amounts of copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. This dish furthers your absorption of sesame's iron by adding a bit of lemon juice (vitamin C helps you absorb iron more easily).
Super-Simple Sesame Drenched Asparagus Using Just 6 Ingredients and 15 Minutes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place washed and dried asparagus spears on a baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes until bright green and tender. They may brown in some spots, this is good.
- While cooking asparagus, toast sesame seeds in a skillet on LOW heat (they burn easily). Stir them pretty continuously, in five to ten minutes they will start to smell toasty, and be browning slightly. Take them off heat and set them aside.
- When asparagus is done place on a wide plate and drizzle tahini and lemon juice over top. Toss them to coat. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds and toss again. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.