Seitan is one of the most versatile meat substitutes and this recipe makes it easy to make this staple at home. Made from protein-rich wheat gluten, this recipe is both tasty and nutritious. You can do just about anything with seitan from sandwiches to stir fries.
Seitan With Chickpea Flour [Vegan]
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- In a large bowl, combine your vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, dried basil, and onion powder and then set them aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together your ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and 1 1/2 cups of hot water.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture has a dough-like consistency.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes, adding more vital gluten wheat if dough is very sticky.
- Roll the dough in plastic wrap and tie a knot at each end. Leave 1 inch at both ends to allow the dough to expand.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Carefully place plastic-wrapped seitan in the boiling broth. Cover the pot, return the broth to a boil, and reduce the heat to low.
- Continue simmering your seitan until firm while turning it occasionally. This should take about 1 hour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let your seitan cool for 15 minutes in broth.
- Cut off knots at either end and remove plastic wrapping. Slice seitan before serving.