Inspired by the Post Punk Kitchen's Seitan Porcini Beef Stew, this stew is hearty and flavorful, perfect for vegans, omnivores and everyone in between!
Seitan Portobello Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Seitan Portobello Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (8 oz.) package seitan, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered and thickly sliced
- 1 large portobello mushroom, cleaned, stem removed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrot, peeled, sliced on a bias, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. potatoes (any type), peeled, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
How to Prepare Seitan Portobello Stew [Vegan]
- Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium high heat. Sauté seitan and set aside.
- Sauté onions, mushrooms and a pinch of salt in oil until until translucent, 4 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, for about a minute, until fragrant.
- Add carrots, wine, rosemary (crushed in your fingers), thyme (crushed in your fingers), paprika, fresh black pepper and salt and bring to a boil. The liquid should reduce in about 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, cover and bring to a boil. Now add the potatoes, lower heat and bring to a simmer. Let the potatoes cook just until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, mix the flour into the water with a fork until no lumps are left. Slowly add the broth/flour to the pot, mixing well. Mix in the tomato paste. Let thicken for 5 minutes or so. Add the seitan and continue to cook. In about 5 more minutes it should be perfectly thick but still smooth.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.