Empanadas are a delicious meal that can carry any filling, even sweet! For savory dumplings you can choose from multiple options, however, this seitan with mushrooms option is one of the richest. In addition to the main ingredients there are other vegetables, such as onion, pepper and eggplant, hummus to add creaminess to the filling and nuts and raisins, to create textures and add a sweet and festive touch to the filling.
Seitan and Mushroom Empanadas [Vegan]
For the empanadas:
- Vegan puff pastry for empanadas
- 150-200g of seitan
- 200g oyster mushrooms
- 1/4 eggplant
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- a splash of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Cut the seitan into cubes, chop the onion, mushrooms, pepper, eggplant and garlic.
- Heat a pan with oil and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the eggplant, pepper, mushrooms, raisins, rosemary, cumin, pepper and salt. Prepare a vegetable stir fry and when ready, add the seitan and cook several more minutes.
- Spread the pastry with hummus and place a few tablespoons of filling in the center. Seal the dough.
- Bake the empanadas until they are golden brown at 350ºF or fry them in hot oil.
- In a glass mix agave syrup, soy sauce and water. With a kitchen brush, paint the empanadas and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.