This is a very simple and basic recipe, perfect for using leftover (or frozen) fruit, nuts and some cooked millet, which is by far my favorite of the ancient grains. Millet is not only alkalizing to the body but is also considered a "smart carb" with lots of fiber and low simple sugars, which will help keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day.
Seasonal Fruit and Nut Millet Bake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2/3 cup cooked millet
- 3 tablespoons flax meal, plus 6 tablespoons of hot water
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup pitted cherries, blueberries, raspberries, apples or pears (feel free to combine whatever is in season or you have at hand. )
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Mix the flax meal and water together and let rest for five minutes until the mixture is sticky.
- Stir in mashed banana, millet, nuts, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mix in your fruit of choice and pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are brown and crispy.