Why have "chicken" pot pie when there are so many other proteins out there? Flaky pie crust, sweet potatoes, leeks, and peas paired with fishless fillets, Old Bay Seasoning, and kelp powder. Serve with a great big salad or whatever sides you like.
Seafood Pot Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 sweet potato, cubed (3-4 cups)
- 2 small leeks, white part, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 pieces of vegan fish fillets, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kelp granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pie crust (top and bottom), gluten-free if necessary
- 1-2 tablespoons soy milk for brushing on pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt vegan butter over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add the sweet potato, leeks, and celery and cook for about 10 minutes until sweet potatoes start to soften.
- Add the dried thyme and pressed garlic and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir well to combine.
- Allow this to cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly add your vegetable broth while stirring continuously. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the plant based milk until well incorporated.
- Add the cooked, chopped fishless fillets, peas, salt, kelp granules, Old Bay Seasoning, and black pepper.
- Ensure the sweet potatoes are fork tender and remove the pot from the heat.
- Pour into bottom pie crust and cover with top crust. Pinch edges to seal well.
- Using a pastry brush, paint your choice of plant based milk (optional)over the pie crust to get that golden, shiny look once it's cooked.
- Cut a few slits in the center of the pie to allow the steam to escape.
- Place in the center of the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.