This is a version of a tofu scramble with a vegan twist on a Mexican tradition. Scrambled Tofu Migas is easy to make and super fun to eat. Corn chips for breakfast, kids? Si, por favor!
Scrambled Tofu Migas [Vegan]
For the Corn Chips:
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or grapeseed oil plus more to cook the onion
- 3 to 4 corn tortillas, cut into eight wedges
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk (not coconut)
- 2 teaspoon vegan butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces firm tofu
- Vegan grated cheese to serve (optional)
- Salsa to serve
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Avocado slices to serve
- Fresh lime to serve
- To make the corn chips, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until it bubbles when sprinkled with a little water. Add the tortilla wedges and fry, for around 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are toasted and golden. Add a little more oil if needed. When crisp, remove from the pan and rest the tortillas on a paper towel.
- To make the cheese sauce, add the flour, nutritional yeast, paprika, cumin, mustard powder and salt to a dry saucepan over low heat and toast for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, slowly pour in the dairy-free milk while stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring until the sauce thickens before adding the vegan butter. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To bring the meal together, heat a splash of oil in a non-stick pan over low to medium heat and add the garlic and onion.
- Sauté for a few minutes until the onion is soft and beginning to brown. Then add the fried corn chips.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and toss it through, following with 3 tablespoons of the “cheese” sauce.
- Keep the heat on while stirring until the tofu is heated through. Finish with a good drizzle of the cheese sauce and your choice of vegan cheese and salsa. Serve with fresh coriander, avocado slices and a squeeze of lime.