Black rice is also known as "Forbidden Rice" in China because it is said to be only for emperors. It is said to be a super food that we are fortunate to have access to. Zhimin Xu, PhD, of Louisiana State University Agricultural Center is quoted to have said, "Just a spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting anthocyanin antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar and more fiber and vitamin E antioxidants..." This is an aromatic dish, with the black rice being the platform for a range of fragrant Asian favorites. The nuts, noodles, and coriander roots give it a gorgeous crunch. If you want an extra kick, simply leave in the chili seeds and/or add more chilli.
Scented and Crunchy Black Rice Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Scented and Crunchy Black Rice Salad [Vegan]
- ½ cup of black rice (I had the glutinous one)
- ½ small brown onion, peeled and finely diced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced (I used button as that’s what I had, but some Asian mushrooms would be perfect in this)
- 3 tablespoons of well washed and finely sliced coriander roots
- 1 handful of washed and roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, washed and gently sliced (as they bruise)
- 1 handful fresh spinach, well washed to avoid grit
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (or tamari for a gluten free option)
- dash of sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon of agave (if you don’t have agave use sugar but add ½ teaspoon and taste again before adding more)
- oil for cooking
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small red chilli, cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and finely slice
- 2 handfuls of roasted peanuts (Mine were raw, so I dry roasted them in a hot pan for a minute or two.)
How to Prepare Scented and Crunchy Black Rice Salad [Vegan]
- Rinse the rice under cold water. Put it in a pot of water, bring it to the boil and simmer until the rice is tender. Mine took about 30 - 45 minutes. I just pottered around and made the dressings etc while the rice cooked. I rinsed mine when it was cooked too in case there were any starches because I used the gelatinous one. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a good splodge of oil in a small pan and cook the onion until it caramelizes. Add the mushrooms and cook till they are softened and coloured. Pull the mushroom and onions out of the pan with some tongs and place them on some draining paper. Set aside
- Make the dressing. Place all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Add the cooked rice and all the salad ingredient to the dressing and mix everything together.
- Give the rice a good stir when you go to serve it. Sprinkle with the finely sliced chilli. Finally top it with the noodles and nuts, just as you are about to serve, so that they remain super crunchy.
- Serve warm or cold.
Don't be put off by a longer list of ingredients. It's often the recipes with a lot of ingredients that are the easiest and require the least amount of skill. The result is worth it too!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.