This scalloped butternut squash has all of the ooey-gooey cheese deliciousness you crave, without having to use any actual cheese! Tender butternut squash, cashews, vegetable broth, and nutritional yeast, are blended together to create a velvety, silky cheese sauce that pairs perfectly with the potatoes and onions. This dish is ultra comforting, supremely flavorful, and a guaranteed hit at any get-together!
Scalloped Butternut Squash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Scalloped Butternut Squash [Vegan]
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8-10 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
How to Prepare Scalloped Butternut Squash [Vegan]
- In a medium saucepan, simmer squash, cashews, garlic, and vegetable broth, until squash is tender.
- Transfer contents of pan into a blender. Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until completely smooth. You may need to do this in two batches to not overflow your blender.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large casserole dish, layer sliced potatoes, then sliced onions, then a scoop or two of your “cheese” sauce. Keep doing this until you have filled the casserole dish. Skip the onions and make your last layers potatoes, then more cheese sauce.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 40 minutes. If you like a crispy top, broil on high until the top layer has browned.
Total Calories: 2791 | Total Carbs: 600 g | Total Fat: 17 g | Total Protein: 79 g | Total Sodium: 2534 g | Total Sugar: 90 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.