Savory vegan sorghum muffins that make a perfect healthy breakfast or snack requiring only 5 ingredients (not counting salt and baking powder). Furthermore, those sorghum muffins are gluten-free and oil-free. Get ready for a boost of flavors, a subtle sweetness, and a bit of crunch. It’s one of those healthy recipes that lack neither taste nor flavour. So, it’s a perfect allergy-friendly recipe for those afternoons when you need a healthy and satiating pick-me-up snack.
Savory Sorghum Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup sorghum groats
- 1 cup additive-free oat milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon almond flour (protein powder, about 15% fat)
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium baking powder
- Start by soaking sorghum groats overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Then, pour oat milk into a small bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, transfer soaked sorghum groats along with all the other ingredients (except baking powder) into blender or beaker (if you use an immersion blender). Blend until you have a homogeneous batter. Finally, mix in baking powder as well.
- Divide the batter between 6 silicone muffin forms or pour into 6-piece muffin pan and bake at 355°F for 30 minutes. You may preheat the oven when you start making the muffin.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before eating. If you want to be certain they’re done inside, make sure that the toothpick inserted comes out clean (or almost clean).