These pancakes are made with chickpea flour, which is naturally gluten-free, full of protein, super delicious and usually pretty cheap compared to other gluten-free flours. These are so tasty and could easily be made into a couple of big pancakes rather than mini ones, you could even fold them over and stuff them like an omelet.
Savory Chickpea Pancakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Pancakes:
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 avocado
- 1 small handful of thyme
To Make the Chickpeas:
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
To Make the Garlic Cashew Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Make pancakes by adding all dry ingredients together in a bowl and mixing well with a fork to break up any lumps. Pour in the water slowly, mixing to a thick batter. It should be thick but easily pourable. You may need to use a little more water, depending on your flour. Set aside to chill in the fridge while you make chickpeas.
- Pre-heat oven to 355°F.
- Drain chickpeas and add to a small mixing bowl with spices, oil and salt, and pepper. Stir to coat evenly then transfer to a small roasting tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- To make garlic cashew sauce, add soaked, drained cashews to a food processor with all other ingredients.
- Blend until really smooth and creamy.
- Pre-heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan over a medium/hot heat and pour in 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake. Cook until bubbles appear, flip and repeat on the other side. Keep pancakes warm in the oven with the chickpeas until ready to assemble.
- Layer up pancakes with fresh avocado, roasted chickpeas, fresh thyme, and garlic cashew cream.