Get into the holiday spirit with these orange-infused Santa sponge cakes! They are so adorable and your loved ones will not only be wowed by their fantastic appearance but their delicious taste as well. Why leave Santa cookies when you can leave him little cakes of himself?
Santa Sponge Cakes [Vegan]
For the Dry Sponge:
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2/5 cup and 2 teaspoons sweetener (avoid artificial)
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 tablespoon baking soda
For the Wet Sponge:
- 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon orange extract (or whatever flavoring you like)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Red icing
- White icing
- Black icing
- Pink icing (roll red and white together)
- Pre-heat the oven to 340°F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl then add to the dry ingredients.
- Use a fork to whisk/mix the mixture together until all is combined and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin and put in the oven for 14 minutes.
- Then (leave the oven on), take the mixture out and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
- When cooled, use your hands to crumble the cake up and then roll the sponge into 12 balls. The sponge should be a little oily still, which will help keep the balls together. If it’s not, add some melted coconut oil.
- Put the balls back in the oven for about 15 minutes until browned.
- Leave for a further 15 minutes in the refrigerator until cooled.
- You can then – if you like – start decorating them with icing.