It's worth it - that crispy buttery shortbread with that gooey caramel coconut and lacy chocolate stripes. These cookies are incredible!!
Samoas Copy Cat [Vegan]
- 10 tablespoons Cold Vegan Butter
- 1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons Confectioners Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Salt pinch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cup Toasted Coconut
- Tempered Chocolate
- Prepare the caramel sauce ahead of time so it can cool and thicken.
- Once it is cool and thick combine with the toasted coconut and mix well, then set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and confectioners sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend on low speed to combine, the add the diced cold vegan butter and continue blending on low to medium speed. It will seem that this is taking forever to come together and you will think there is something wrong with the recipe. Just wait. It may take close to 5 minutes
- It will eventually come together and at that point you can add the vanilla extract and blend on high for 10 seconds to incorporate well.
- Turn the very soft, sticky dough out onto a floured silicone mat and roll to 8 x 11-inches (about 1/4-inch thick)
- Cut the dough with a 2-inch cookie cutter and place them spaced ½" apart on a parchment lined (or non stick) sheet pan.
- Cut out the center holes with a 3/4-inch cookie cutter, then re roll the dough and repeat until all dough is gone.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes or golden browned and then transfer them to a cooling rack while.
- Dip the bottom of the cooled cookies in tempered chocolate and place on a parchment paper to set
- Top each cookie with some of the coconut caramel and then drizzle with chocolate