Congee is a type of rice porridge. It is full of flavor and is very filling!
Salted Congee [Vegan]
- 2 cup of mixed congee
- 1 cup of green beans
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 piece of fresh ginger
- 1 bunch of chives
- 1 bunch of arugula
- 1 sachet of saffron
- whole sea salt
- few leaves of grass pepper
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- piece of kombu (1 1/2 inch)
- Rinse the congee and soak it in a volume of fresh water equal to 3 1/2 times of its volume with the kombu alga all night. After this time, transfer everything to a thick-bottomed pan and cook over a low heat until the mixture is creamy and not too dry. It will take about 1 1/2 hours or 2 of cooking. Try not to raise the lid continuously to avoid letting the steam out (if necessary add boiling water if necessary).
- 10 minutes after the end of cooking, add the saffron sachet. Keep warm.
- Briefly scald the beans in salted boiling water, drain and pass them in water and ice to stop the cooking.
- Wash the rocket and cut it into strips.
- Peel the carrots or brush them under running water, then cut them into small, regular cubes.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a wok, add the peeled and grated ginger and sauté the carrots lightly salting for 3 or 4 minutes over a high heat with the pepper. Add the green beans and rocket and sauté for another 2 minutes. With the heat off, mix the congee, add the chopped chives and parsley.
- Serve by decorating with 1 mint leaf and borage flowers or other edible flowers and aromatic herbs to taste.