This rustic cherry rhubarb galette is the perfect way to celebrate the summer fruit that's available to us during the warm season. The tartness of the rhubarb is balanced by the sweet, ripe cherries and then the filling is wrapped in a crumbly galette crust and baked until it's golden brown and bubbling.
Rustic Cherry Rhubarb Galette [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cup rhubarb stalks, chopped
- 2 cups cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 small lemon juiced
- First, prepare the dough by combining the flour, sugar, salt (if using), and cold diced vegan butter in a food processor.
- Process this until it resembles fine meal.
- Add the cold water and process the mixture until a dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it chill for an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the rhubarb-cherry filling by chopping up the fresh rhubarb into small pieces and place in a heavy bottom sauce pot with the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat. Stir it constantly to avoid burning but to allow the rhubarb to break down and release its juices.
- Cook this for about 5-8 minutes until the rhubarb is tender.
- Remove it from the heat and add the cherries.
- Now the dough should be chilled and you can roll it out to approximately 10 inches in diameter.
- Place the fruit compote in the center and fold up the edges of the dough.
- Brush it with water and sprinkle it with sugar.
- Bake it in the oven, at 375°F, for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the dough is light golden brown and the fruit compote is starting to bubble.
- Let it cool slightly before serving it as is, or with ice cream.