The earthy flavors of hummus combine with the roasted red pepper to create a wonderful undertone to this dip, which goes great with pita bread, tortilla chips, fresh veggies or by itself!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus [Vegan]
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted (1 cup)
- 3 cups cooked and drained well garbanzo beans
- 3/4 cup tahini, roasted (creamy)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 Tbl wheat-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, ground to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, or to taste, optional
- Place pepper in food processor with lemon juice, soy sauce, tamari and olive oil and process until well blended.
- Add garbanzo beans and remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
Variations Replace red pepper with one of the following: Garlic Lover’s - 1 1/2 cups roasted garlic, 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic. Sun-dried Tomato Basil - 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked & drained, 2 Tbl basil, minced. Kalamata Rosemary - 1 1/2 Tbl fresh rosemary, minced, 3/4 cup Calamata olives, chopped. Caramelized onions - replace red bell pepper with 1 cup caramelized onions before pureeing
- Bell Pepper