Granita is a Sicilian delicacy that's extremely popular in the hotter months during the summer so needless to say – this semi-frozen beverage is very refreshing. This particular Granita is made from tart rhubarb, lemons, and a bit of sugar birch to counteract the sourness of the rhubarb.
Rhubarb Granitas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large bunch of rhubarb
- 1-2 lemons, juiced and zested
- Hibiscus flower petals
- Birch sugar, to taste
- 2 cups of water
- Boil water in a pot. Peel the rhubarb, cut it into pieces, and add it to the water.
- Add the zest and lemon juice and a few hibiscus petals. Add the birch sugar to taste. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, squeezing all the juice through, and remove the pulp.
- Pour the rhubarb syrup into a bag and freeze it.
- Once frozen break the juice into pieces place these into a blender and mix it until you have the consistency of frozen snow.
- Place this into a container and store it in the freezer.