Today’s recipe was featured in one of our meal plans awhile back and It’s one of my personal faves. This recipe is surprisingly delicious. It sounds pretty good when you read the recipe, but when you eat it, you won't be able to get enough. Jam-packed with flavor, healthy, and simple to make, this refried bean and salsa soup is perfect for dinner and to have leftovers for the next day.
Refried Bean and Salsa Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder (omit if you don’t like spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 medium-large tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeño, diced (discard seeds)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds taken out and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup water
- Place the cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne, salt and black pepper into a small bowl and set aside for now. Prep and measure out the rest of the ingredients. This will make it super easy to throw together.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat for two minutes and then add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, adding a splash of water to the pot when they start to stick or look dry.
- Add the garlic, corn, tomatoes, jalapeño, green bell pepper, lime juice, and the spice mix that you made earlier, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and stir until they are all mixed up with the veggies. Add the water and stir again.
- Turn down the heat to low, place a lid on the pot and gently simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.