These decadent red velvet cupcakes are ready for any holiday party! Topped with a dense peppermint cream cheese frosting, they're both delicious and festive.
Red Velvet Cupcakes With Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan]
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 3/4 tub vegan cream cheese, cold
- 1/4 cup cold vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 356°F and line a cupcake tray with liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and allow to curdle for about five minutes before adding the oil and caster sugar.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder before slowly adding the wet ingredients. Some lumps are okay but get out as many as possible.
- Add the food coloring. You may want to add more or less, depending on how vivid you want the red to be. You may also cut back on the cocoa if you want it super vibrant.
- Fill the baking cups 3/4 of the way to the top and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make your frosting, simply use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese and butter before adding the essence and confectioner's sugar. The frosting should be quite stiff, add more confectioner's sugar if it’s not.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost your cupcakes and place a mini candy cane on top.