For a filling and flavorful dinner entrée, try out this red lentil dal. Carrots and green peas swim in a creamy purée of coconut milk, cumin, garlic, coriander, and vegetable broth. Serve this dish with rice if you want to make it even heartier (it is served with black rice in the photo).
Red Lentil Dal With Carrots and Peas [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed and pressed
- 2 medium-sized carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crush before adding to the pan
- 1 teaspoon curcuma powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 13.66-ounce cans coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or other soy sauce)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Generous bunch of coriander, chopped plus more for garnish
- Juice from 1 lime
- Chop/crush all ingredients as needed. Then bring a pan to medium-low heat and melt the coconut oil. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant before adding the carrots, dried lentils, cumin powder, coriander seeds, and curcuma powder. Continue stirring for 1 minute to bring the fragrance out, but do not burn! Add the water, the coconut milk, the vegetable stock and the tamari, and boil on low heat under a lid, stirring once or twice.
- After 25 minutes, add the frozen green peas, the chopped coriander, and the lime juice. Taste and add more tamari and lime if needed. Leave for another five minutes before serving.