Dhal is a typical Indian dish and they also have it in Sri Lanka. This is based on red lentils and spices and is usually accompanied with basmati or jasmine rice or with naan or pita bread.
Red Lentil Dahl [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 can of chopped tomato
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of water
- 1 white onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 spoonful of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- We started by washing lentils well. Then we drain them.
- In a pan add the teaspoon of coconut oil. Cut the fine onion and the garlic cloves add to the pan, grate the ginger and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- We add all the spices and stir for a minute.
- Then add the can of chopped tomato and the can of coconut milk and stir well.
- Now add the red lentils, the two cups of water, salt and pepper and let the herb for about 15-20 minutes until it thickens and remains a creamy consistency.
- Red Lentil