This red lentil curry is full of protein and iron and cooks in a short 20 minutes! Plus, the ingredient list isn't too long, so this is an ideal meal to make after a day of work or school when you still want something delicious and nutritious but don't want to be in the kitchen for over an hour. Make a big batch and eat the leftovers all week long, because the flavors develop even further in the refrigerator.
Red Lentil Coconut Curry [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Small can coconut cream or half of a large can
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Rinse lentils and cook as directed. About 15 minutes. Drain lentils if needed.
- Chop 1/2 onion and sauté with oil and dash of salt.
- Once onions are soft, add curry paste, spices, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and tomato sauce. Let simmer on low for a few minutes.
- Add lentils to sauce. Serve now or simmer spices with lentils longer.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.