We understand that some might have doubts about this, but trust us — these carrot dogs actually taste like the real thing. The flavor of the carrots has just the right mixture of sweet and tanginess to it. The added flavor bonus of shredded red cabbage and spicy arugula makes it even better and a little bit more special. Drizzle it with ketchup and mustard and dig in.
Red Cabbage Carrot Dogs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Carrot Dogs:
- 4 hot dog-sized carrots
- 4 whole grain buns or gluten-free buns, if needed
- Ketchup and mustard to taste
- 2 handfuls of arugula
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the Red Cabbage:
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 apples
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- Start by boiling the carrots in salt water for about 12-14 minutes, depending on their size.
- In a shallow dish mix together all the ingredients for the marinade and add the carrots after they have finished cooking and are cooled down a bit.
- Now place in the refrigerator and let them soak for 24 hours.
- To make the red cabbage, heat up the olive oil in a large pot.
- Slice the onion and cut the apples into small cubes. Cook the onions until translucent then add the apple and the maple syrup and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next cut the cabbage into small strips and add to the pot together with the vinegar.
- Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the salt and pepper and the water, stir and let it simmer for 35 minutes. Drain any excess liquid from the cabbage.
- In a skillet, heat up some more olive oil over medium-high heat and fry your carrots on each side for about 2-3 minutes.
- Slice your buns open, add the arugula and the cabbage, then the carrot dog and finally top off with some ketchup and mustard. Serve.