These colorful pancakes are always a success. They can go with various sauces, but this weekend, when I served them as a starter for friends, I merged avocado and tahini together for a really tasty combination! This dish is filled with distinct flavors, which I like, but if it's too much for your taste, you can leave off the tarragon from the greens and serve with only the ruccola (also known as arugula).
Beet and Zucchini Pancakes With Ruccola Tarragon Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium-sized red beets
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- ½ tbsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup soy flour or more to get to the right consistency
- A little water (if needed, to get to the right consistency)
- 2 cups ruccola (arugula) salad, washed and finely chopped
- 5 stems fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- A little salt and fresh black pepper (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 tsp agave
- Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1/2 tbsp. tahini
- Salt to taste
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely shred the red beet and the zucchini and finely chop the garlic and the red onion. Place it all in a pan together with the olive oil, the cumin powder and the cumin seeds and fry for a few minutes, until some of the liquid is gone (the shredded red beets can be very moist).
- Remove the pan, add the soy flour and mash with a fork to thoroughly blend it in.
- Place a baking paper in a baking tray and press out thin CD sized pancakes out of the red beet/zucchini mix. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes. The pancakes should be firm throughout and crisp and a little brown on top. I recommend to flip them over after approximately 20 minutes, to get the crispiness on both sides.
- In the meantime prepare the salad. Place the chopped tarragon and ruccola in a bowl, drizzle over the olive oil and add a little fresh pepper and salt if desired. Toss and set aside.
- Now prepare the sauce: Add all ingredients in bowl and blend together using a hand mixer. Add salt to taste and perhaps a little more soy milk to get to your desired consistency.
- When the pancakes are ready, garnish with the greens and serve with the sauce on the side.
- Beet Recipes