Do you ever have that uncontrollable craving for some very specific dish? That urge that comes out of the blue and just doesn’t go away? That is what I felt about spaghetti and meatballs. I used what I had at home and created these amazing vegan meatballs! Use the seasonings you like to make them exactly like you want them!
Red Bean Meatballs [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked red beans
- 3 tablespoons of oats
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons of toasted and chopped cashew nuts
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic – mashed
- 1 pinch of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of smoked hot paprika
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Cook the garlic and the onion in a pan with a little bit of oil until golden.
- Turn the oven on to 390°F. Remove most of the water from the cooked beans and mash them using your hands of some utensil. It’s ok to leave some of the whole, it actually makes the texture kind of nice.
- Add the other ingredients until they reach a texture that is easy to mold. Check the seasoning. I thought of using an egg to make it stick better, but I decided to make the recipe vegan. The result would have been softer, but I really think we are not missing out on anything.
- Make golf ball-sized balls using wet hands, to avoid it to stick too much. Spread them on a greased tray and take it to the oven. I avoid frying at home to the max, for health reasons and for the sake of my kitchen, since we don’t own an exhaust fan lol. In case you do prefer frying, go for it. Make sure the fat is very hot before you start and don’t forget to take the excessive grease out with some paper towel.
- Let them bake for 30’ or until they get darker and crunchy outside. In the meantime, I made the spaghetti and sauce. I’m not going to write the recipe here because this is already quite long, but I promise I’ll make a post with a beautiful tomato sauce in the future. The meatballs are also very nice on sandwiches and salads, but my craving was the classical dish. In case you do make the spaghetti, serve everything hot, with the tomato sauce on top of everything. Delicious! Check this out!