This mighty roast is enough to feed the family and still have leftovers, as is traditional. The roast may be cut into thin or thick slices. If desired, let cool, then bake the slices in broth until heated. The slices may also be wrapped in puff pastry with sautéed mushrooms, greens, or cooked crumbled vegan sausages and bread cubes. Follow the package directions to bake the wrapped unturkey. Serve with gravy.
The Unturkey Roast [Vegan]
2 pound roast
For the Roast:
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or soy flour
- 2 tablespoons Instant Tapioca, such as Minute Brand
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
For the Cooking Broth:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Combine the tofu, wine, broth, and onion powder through (and including) the celery seed in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Stir together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, and tapioca in a large bowl. Pour the blended ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork. Add an extra tablespoon of liquid or vital wheat gluten to make a soft, workable dough. Knead for a few minutes, squeezing to be sure all ingredients are combined. Shape the mixture into a symmetrical log about 7 to 8 inches long. Wrap the log in a 12x16-inch piece of cheesecloth. Tie the ends of the log with twine.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the log until browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer to a 9 or 10-inch covered casserole pan. Pour the broth over the roast and add the remaining ingredients. The broth should cover the roast about halfway. Cover and bake for 2 hours, turning every 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut the cheesecloth from the roast. Strain the liquid and discard the solids. Keep the broth to use as a base for gravy, if desired.
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
- Veggie Loaf
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
This recipe turned out fabulous and all the meat-eaters loved it! We had a Field Roast Holiday Roast also, but this one was better. Definitely worth the effort.
But nowhere in the recipe does it say to add the seasonings. I was so tired that I had started frying it before I realized what I\’d done and had to knead seasonings into partially-fried over-kneaded seitan.