So now, what is the difference between Swedish Pankcakes and normal ones? I've been asking myself the same question. Growing up in Sweden, this is the normal way -- thin tasty pancakes with crispy edges. Traditional Swedish pancakes are served with berry jam and light whipped cream or vanilla ice cream that will melt on the hot pancake. We eat them for a lot of different meals, changing them up a bit. Swedes also use the pancakes to make savory crêpes, wrapping them around fillings like creamy mushrooms and vegan varieties of creamy "shrimp" or "ham" fillings and top them with melted vegan cheese. For special occasions, we like to bake Pancake-cake; this cake is layered with cooled pancakes, fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Very tasty! So here is the secret to make the perfect Swedish vegan pancakes!
Swedish Pancakes [Vegan]
1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour
- 600 ml Dairy Free Milk
- 4 tbs Soy Flour
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tbs (or 50 g) Dairy Free Margarine (+ extra for frying the pancakes)
- Raspberry or strawberry jam with vegan whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream
- Fresh squeezed lemon and sugar
- Creamy mushroom, topped with vegan cheese.
- Creamy "shrimp" or "ham", topped with vegan cheese
- Melt the margarine and leave it to slightly cool.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and add half of the milk whisking well, electric beater is recommended.
- Add the rest of the milk and the melted margarine. Leave the batter for 15-30 minutes, this will allow the batter to slightly thicken before use.
- Use a small nob of margarine to fry around 100 ml of batter in a non-stick pan. This recipe will make around 10 pancakes.
- Eat them straight away with your sweet topping of choice or fill them with your favorite savory filling and roll them up. Sprinkle with vegan cheese and bake in a 390 F oven until the cheese has just melted and turned slightly golden.
Tip: If you have pankcakes left over, store them in the fridge and make a snack. Spread your cold pankcake with a thin layer of margarine and sprinkle with sugar. (optional some cinnamon)... Roll up and enjoy.