It’s rhubarb season and, if you visit your local farmer’s market right now, I’m sure you will find plenty of this antioxidant-rich vegetable there. My last visit to our local market showcased some fresh and beautiful rhubarb. Morning smoothies are a daily ritual in our home. My three-year-old helps make them, while my 18-month-old tugs at my leg in anxious anticipation. Smoothies are a delicious and easy way to get in your daily fruits and vegetables. Rhubarb was the perfect choice for this dessert-style smoothie because it provides a good source of vitamin C, calcium, and fiber. This smoothie is light and frothy, while offering the perfect balance of tart and sweet.
Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie [Vegan]
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp date syrup Organics Are For Everyone (you can substitute pure maple syrup here)
- ½ tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 fresh banana
- 12 oz unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Combine chopped rhubarb, orange juice, date syrup, vanilla and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly and place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes (this can be done ahead of time and you can make more so you can enjoy this all week long).
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth and serve.