Who says that eating vegan can't be delicious? If you happen to cook for non-vegans like I do, you know how important it is to find recipes that are super tasty as well as healthy. This pineapple fried quinoa is sweet, spicy, and will win you points with vegans and non-vegans alike. Qunioa is a great source of complete protein and it cooks up quickly, making this perfect as a fast weeknight meal. You can even cook the quinoa ahead of time and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to assemble. This recipe is best with fresh pineapple, but canned pineapple can also be substituted. Enjoy!
Pineapple Fried Quinoa [Vegan]
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons dried red chili pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1.5 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- 2 Tablespoons liquid aminos
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes. (You can also cook the quinoa ahead of time and leave in the fridge to cool.)
- Add the coconut oil to a pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook for about 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the peas, bell pepper, and pineapple, and cook over high-heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the pineapple just starts to caramelize.
- Add in the cooked quinoa, liquid aminos, and cilantro.
- Mix well and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve hot.