Do you have one of those recipes that have been passed around from generation to generation or from friend to friend? I have several of these, some of which are just handwritten scribbles on a piece of paper. That’s the origins of today’s recipe. The scrap of paper read, “Lemon Poppyseed Muffins.” One glance at the ingredients and I knew immediately this little recipe was ripe for a makeover. I removed the butter, milk, and eggs and replaced them with vegan substitutes. And then I decided to go for something a little different. Orange Poppy Seed Muffins! Maybe that was because I was inspired to do something different or maybe it’s because lemons would require a trip to the store whereas I had a nice, plump orange in the fridge waiting to be harvested. Either way, the results were delicious.
Orange Poppy Seed Muffins [Vegan]
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup soy buttermilk (soymilk combined with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar)
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Heat your oven to 350F and prepare your muffin pans (spray with vegetable spray or line with cups).
- In a small bowl combine soymilk and vinegar, stir and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream the margarine and sugar with a mixer. Add the soy buttermilk, vegan sour cream, orange zest and vanilla. Mix again with your mixer until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, poppy seeds, salt, baking powder and baking soda). Add to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined (don’t over mix!)
- Drop the batter into prepared muffin pans and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Glaze. While you’re waiting for those muffins to cool down, stir together the powdered sugar and orange juice. Don’t worry if the mixture is a little runny – that’s what we’re looking for. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins.