A "chia fresca" is a Mexican beverage, which classically uses lemon or citrus juice in combination with plant-based powerhouse chia to make a refreshing drink. Chia seeds - a superfood known primarily for a miraculously high Omega 3 content - absorb about 9 times their weight when soaked in water, forming a miniature balls that are playful on the tongue. Combining the idea of a chia fresca with another Mexican specialty, tequila, is a true food destiny, and a deliciously fun new way to make a margarita (and add a little nutrition). For a virgin variation, use a citrus kombucha blend in place of the alcohol.
Chia Margarita [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chia Margarita [Vegan]
- 2 oz water
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1½ oz freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar (also called coconut sugar)
- stevia, to taste (if desired)
How to Prepare Chia Margarita [Vegan]
- In a small glass, mix together the water and chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes or longer to form a gel. You may want to make a larger batch of this step if you suspect that more than one margarita will be needed, so that the readied chia is on hand.
- In a shaker filled with plenty of ice, add all the ingredients, except the soaked chia gel, and shake well.
- Strain into a large glass, add the chia gel, and stir until combined.
- Add stevia if a sweeter drink is desired.
- Transfer to a serving glass.
Extra palm sugar or agave nectar may be used in place of the stevia.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.