I think dehydrated chips have become my absolute favorite way to eat zucchini. And hubby no longer complains that we grew too much zucchini since he loves them too. I use a traditional rack type dehydrator, but if you don’t have one, you could also make these in your oven on the lowest heat setting. If you do use the oven, keep an eye on them as they will cook a bit faster at the higher heat. (And they won’t technically be “raw” but they’ll still be tasty and healthy!)
Raw Nacho Cheese Zucchini Chips [Vegan]
- 1/2 cups cashews (soaked for 30 minutes or more and drained)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tb chili powder (makes a mildly spicy sauce)
- 1 tsp powdered/ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup water
- 8 cups sliced zucchini (approx)
- Slice raw zucchini about 1/8″ – 1/4″ thick and set aside.
- Soak cashews for at least 30 minutes, drain and add to food processor with “S” blade add all other ingredients and blend. Add water slowly to make your sauce the desired thickness. Thinner sauce will dry faster and not taste quite as strong. Thicker sauce will create very cheesy chips.
- In a large bowl, add some of the zucchini and some of the sauce – mixed in smaller amounts is easier. Coat the zucchini with the sauce and place on dehydrator tray. Do this until all the zucchini are coated and placed on the rack
You could also use this sauce for kale chips too.