The sweet flavor of coconut along with earthy matcha in this raw vegan coconut cream pie is simply heavenly! The recipe is pretty simple. A classic raw pie crust, filled with a matcha-laced coconut cream and large flaked coconut. Then, it’s topped off with more coconut cream. This raw vegan coconut cream pie will have you on cloud 9. It is quite the treat. Billows of coconut matcha whipped cream in a pie crust–– what could be better than that?
Raw Matcha Coconut Cream Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 6inch pie
- 3/4 cup finely shredded dried coconut
- 3/4 cup sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup soft pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups fresh young coconut meat packed*
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar, or your choice of raw liquid sweetener
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds of a vanilla bean
- 2/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw coconut butter (warmed to liquid)
- 1 Tbsp matcha powder
- 1 cup large dried coconut flakes
- Additional matcha and coconut flakes for serving
- For the crust, combine all ingredients in the food processor until finely chopped and starting to hold together when squeezed (if it doesn't you may need a few more dates). Press the mixture into a 6 inch pie pan or spring form pan greased with coconut oil.
- To make the cream, combine the coconut, coconut water, coconut nectar, sea salt, vanilla and process until smooth. Add the coconut butter with the motor running and process for a minute. Divide between 2 bowls. Whisk the matcha powder into one, then fold the coconut into it. Pour the matcha filling over the prepared crust and place in the freezer to firm up (about an hour). Place the other bowl in the freezer for about 45 minutes and chill until it is the consistency of whipped cream.
- Once the filling and the cream have chilled long enough, top the filling with the plain cream, dust with a little matcha powder, and top with more large flake coconut before serving.
If you do not mind this pie not being nut free, and coconut meat is unavailable, you may use 4 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours and drained instead.