While decadent desserts are super tasty, sometimes it’s nice to make nutritious treats that can serve as quick, energy-boosting snacks. These raw chocolate energy balls may look decadent, but they are packed with natural protein from the nuts/seeds, natural carbohydrates from the dates, and antioxidants from the cacao. They are also super simple and fun to make, especially if you choose to roll them in toppings! Enjoy!
Super-Simple, Nutrient-Dense Raw Chocolate Energy Bites [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup raw seeds or nuts of choice (I used sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao or cocoa powder (see note)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1-3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips (see note)
- cacao powder or unsweetened shredded coconut, optional for coating
- Place seeds/nuts in a food processor, and process until finely ground. Pulse in cacao, vanilla, and salt.
- Add in the chopped dates and water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together nicely. Process until all ingredients are distributed evenly (you may need to stop a few times and scrape down the sides and separate the dough if it forms a ball).
- Pulse in the cacao nibs or chips.
- Roll pieces of the dough into small, tablespoon-sized balls. You may roll them in the cacao powder, shredded coconut, or any other toppings of choice.
- Place your energy bites in a container in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes, then serve!
You may store these energy bites in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days! If you are using regular cocoa powder and chocolate chips, these energy bites will not be raw, but they will still be delicious (of course).