This dish makes a great lunch or dinner!
Rajma Curry: This Easy Vegan Indian Red Kidney Bean Recipe Will Spice Up Your Life!
Ingredients You Need for Rajma Curry: This Easy Vegan Indian Red Kidney Bean Recipe Will Spice Up Your Life!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-inch piece grated ginger or beat and chopped
- 2 teaspoons or 1/4 of a green chili, slit
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- pinch of asafoetida
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 medium-sized tomato finely chopped
- 2 cups red kidney beans aka Rajma beans soaked, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup cashew cream (1/2 cup soaked cashews + 1 cup water, blended)
- 1.5 Himalayan salt
- Fresh cilantro
How to Prepare Rajma Curry: This Easy Vegan Indian Red Kidney Bean Recipe Will Spice Up Your Life!
- Add your oil to the pan, then your bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and cumin seeds. Let them toast and become fragrant for 10-15 seconds. Be careful not to burn them.
- Then add your onions, sauté and allow them to sweat for a good 2 minutes.
- Now go in with your ginger, garlic and green chili. Sauté and then allow those flavors to combine for another minute.
- Add your dry spices in this order: turmeric, chili powder, black pepper, asafetida, then the garam masala. Allow the spices to burn for 40 seconds to 1 minute. When I say burn, I mean allow the spices to toast in order to activate the flavors. You don’t want them to literally burn.
- Then add your tomatoes and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- And then add your drained rajma aka red kidney beans.
- Break a part your fresh cilantro by hand and add it to the pot.
- Add about a half teaspoon of salt then mix the seasonings and the rajma together very well so that the beans can pick up the flavor.
- Don’t add your water until you feel like the beans have had enough time to soak up the spices (it took me about 2 minutes).
- Add 2 cups of fresh purified water to your pan and be sure to get rid of the water that you strained off from the cooked beans. Cook for 7-9 minutes.
- Add your cashew cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes then turn off your flame.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.